What does “Careful!!” actually mean? To a Guide it may mean, the rocks are slippery, the edge is crumbling, a rock is tumbling down the hill… In your mind it all makes sense, but what are your clients thinking?
Very often I hear Guides shouting a warning, or telling their clients…
When in fact a slight change in wording will be more beneficial… and understandable.
- Careful here… could rather be said as “Listen to the rocks rolling under the water“, or “Look how fast the water is flowing“.
- Careful here… rather say, “Move your feet quickly over the boulder bed of rocks rather than trying to balance on each rock. The momentum will keep you balanced.“
- Careful here… could be replaced by, “Look at this poisonous plant. Can you see any of the other group members getting too close?“
- Careful here… could mean, “These rocks are slippery.“
- Careful here… it’s better to say, “Try using your hands to balance.“
- Careful of the stove… better said as, “Can you feel the heat coming off the stove? It’s very hot.“
- Careful… “Whats your plan if you cross over that log across the river?“
- Careful… “How will you get down?“
What makes sense to you, may be totally misunderstood by your clients. Speak in a way that is understandable to all and cannot be misunderstood.